Religious Education

Religious Education is taught throughout the school in such a way as to reflect the overall aims, values and ethos of the school. Our teaching of RE aims to enable children to extend their own sense of values and promotes their spiritual growth and development. We encourage the children to reflect on their own views in relation to the themes covered in the curriculum. We use children’s experiences of religious festivals and celebrations to develop their religious thinking:


In school we will teach Religious Education with early and continued emphasis on Christianity. The Governors, through the LDBS Curriculum, have agreed that St. John’s pupils will be taught a timetabled RE lesson every week for a minimum of 1 hour. The teaching of Christianity makes up approximately 65% of the curriculum, with a focus on major world faiths the other 35%. We encourage children to be sensitive to, respectful of, and knowledgeable about other faiths, and to value the contribution of the local community.

Through teaching RE and other subjects we provide opportunities for Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural Development. We help the children to recognise the difference between right and wrong, through the study of moral and ethical questions. Children explore issues of religious faiths and values, and in doing so, they develop their knowledge and understanding of the cultural content of their own lives.


We have regular visits to St. John’s Church to celebrate key festivals and events through collective worship. Visits to and from other places of worship and religious leaders form an integral part of our school curriculum.

The London Diocesan Board for Schools (LDBS) works closely with us to provide a stimulating and relevant RE curriculum with very detailed lesson plans. Through this curriculum, pupils are taught to understand the key Biblical concepts and to investigate and reflect on the fundamental questions in life. In our recent SIAMS inspection, May, 2019, RE was judged as excellent.

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom
In this section